The Student of Concern Form allows students, staff, faculty, and UCF community members to report concerning behavior exhibited by a student. If you are aware that a student is experiencing challenges or difficulties that concern you, please report the concern using the Student of Concern Form.

There are situations that arise throughout the academic year, when parents need to get involved or seek help for their students. Due to FERPA regulations, it can be difficult for parents to get answers or assistance on behalf of their student.

If the matter is urgent and it is after regular business hours, you may consult with the UCF Counseling and Psychological Services Crisis Hotline at 407-823-2811. If there is an imminent risk of harm or danger, please dial 911.

Student Care Services can assist parents with connected with their student during the following:

  • Parents and families can all or submit a Student of Concern form when they are concerned about their student (academic, personal, financial, medical incidents) and they are not sure who to call for help
  • Parents and families can call in the event of emergency situations (i.e. their student is missing, has been hospitalized, or needs to withdraw from the university)
  • Parents or families have general questions about navigating university policies, procedures, or services
  • If they have involved several offices in a situation or concern, and need assistance connecting the dots or bridging a communication gap

If your student is missing class due to a hospitalization, medical emergency, or family emergency, contact Student Care Services for assistance and the Class Absence Notification.

If you believe your student will not be able to complete the semester due to a medical emergency, please review the Medical Withdrawal Policy and contact Student Care Services or Academic Services. Academic Services can be reached at 407-823-2691.

Please refer to this Parent Resource Guide for Mental Health tips for students in college, provided by The JED Foundation.

  • Call 407-823-5607 during regular business hours (8am-5pm) and ask to schedule an appointment
  • E-mail us at caremanager@ucf.edu
  • Stop by Ferrell Commons, 196
  • If you need immediate assistance after business hours, please contact the University Police Department (911 or 407-823-5555) or the Counseling and Psychological Services Crisis Hotline (407-823-2811)

Sometimes, someone (friend, community member, staff or faculty) who is concerned about a student will ask one of the staff to reach out. In those cases, staff will contact the student by e-mail with a pre-scheduled appointment time. We ask you to confirm the appointment time. If you call or e-mail Student Care Services with questions about your appointment, we will not be able to provide any additional information, other than what is listed in the e-mail. This is due to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). For questions about FERPA, visit registrar.ucf.edu/ferpa.

Students can become involved with Student Care Service by joining the UCF Cares Student Team. The student team does outreach to educate others about UCF resource and how to help students in need. To learn more, please e-mail ucfcares@ucf.edu.

Please call 407-823-5607 and ask to speak with staff. They will be able to troubleshoot the situation with you and provide you with suggestions or recommendations.

Case management is not therapy or counseling, so confidentially may not apply. Staff will only share your information on a need-to-know basis, if it essential for coordinating care.

When aiding a student you are not expected to provide personal counseling. Rather, you play an important role in encouraging students to use campus resources, which Student Care Services can share with the student. You are encouraged to speak directly to student when you sense that they are in academic or personal distress. If the student appears to be open to discussing their concerns with a counselor, you may want to help them make a call to the UCF Counseling Center or walk with them there to be seen for an emergency appointment.

Staff can help students identify and overcome barriers that affect a student’s ability to be successful at UCF. These barriers can be academically related, but they can also include mental health concerns, financial concerns, or personal concerns. Staff can help students get involved or connected on campus or within the community. Sometimes it can be difficult to navigate the University system in order to access services or resources. Staff can help students navigate these services or develop an action plan for academic success.

Once a Student of Concern Report is filed, it is sent to the Student Care Services for review. Staff may contact you to discuss the concern. SCS staff will reach out to the student of concern to assess what resources would be beneficial to the student and collaboratively develop an action plan with the student to reduce obstacles to their success at UCF.

Not all students will be receptive to your help. In some cases, and in order to ensure that students of concern do not fall in the gaps between observers and interveners, submit an Student of Concern Report Form.

If you are working with a student who is in distress regarding an urgent matter, and it is after regular business hours, you may consult with the UCF Counseling and Psychological Services Crisis Hotline at 407-823-2811. If there is an imminent risk of harm or danger, please dial 911 immediately.

  • If you feel that you are in distress and not sure where to get help
    • If you are thinking of harming yourself, please call the University Police Department (911 or 407-823-5555) or the Counseling and Psychological Services Crisis Hotline (407-823-2811)
  • You are no longer able to balance academic and personal responsibilities
  • You have an unexpected health issue and need support
  • You have an unexpected financial crisis and you may lose housing or financial support
  • You want to become more involved or connected on campus

Some students can connect with resources on their own. However, it can be helpful to have a university staff member ensuring that you can connect with your advisor, financial aid, counseling or medical services, and university involvement. Staff help bridge the gap.

  • Do not know where to refer them
  • Would like to consult about possible responses to a student’s behavior
  • Notice a student’s behavior is making others feel uncomfortable
  • Believe there may be safety concerns in the future
  • If you walk a student over or refer a student to the Counseling Center
  • Have called 911 because of a safety concern
  • Would like future follow up to ensure that the student is connected to appropriate support services